Thursday, August 5, 2010

WHAT IS YOUR DECISION-MAKING STYLE?

By: Nick Tasler

Best-selling author, Nick Tasler, reveals how to start making winning decisions about your career, your people and your strategy.

Great decisions require two things: a map and a G.P.S. Most organizations understand the power of good decisions so they train their people to use a standard decision-making process, problem-solving or critical thinking model. That model is your map.

But have you ever identified from which direction you’re coming from? If I were leaving from Minneapolis and you were leaving from Atlanta we’d both need to take two very different paths to get to Chicago, wouldn’t we? That’s true even if we were using identical, company-issued maps. That’s why shopping mall directories always tell us “You are here.” That’s also why a Global Positioning System is quickly replacing the road atlas as the must-have navigation tool.

So does your organization’s problem-solving model come equipped with G.P.S.? If not, many of your people might be getting lost, even if you’ve taught them how to use a perfectly good map.

Factoring You into Your Decisions
Everyone comes from one of two basic directions when approaching a decision. In other words some of us come from the east and others of us come from the west. That direction depends on your innate decision-making style. Take the brief quiz below to give you a ballpark estimate of your style.

1. a) I do my best work when I have to make quick decisions
b) I do my best work when I have plenty of time to think through my options


2. a) I would choose a 100% chance of winning $1,000
b) I would choose a 50% chance of winning $2,000


3. a) I thoroughly analyze before making a decision
b) I make quick decisions even if I don’t have all the facts


4. a) I thoroughly examine the consequences before trying something new
b) I’m usually one of the first people to try something new


5. a) I choose my words carefully
b) I say what’s on my mind without much thought


6. a) I usually go for it when I see something I want
b) I closely examine the risks before making a choice


7. a) I am quicker to jump on new opportunities than most people
b) I prefer to think things through before pursuing new opportunities


8. a) I rely more on gut instinct
b) I rely more on research and evidence


If you answered mostly “a” then you probably have a Risk Managing style of decision making. Three out of four people like to consider every option closely and will almost always choose the safer bird-in-the-hand option.

On the other hand, if you answered mostly “b” then you might be the one out of four people who are Potential Seekers. You pay attention to risk, but it’s not nearly as important to you as the potential for reward.

You can be a great decision maker with either style. The first step is understanding from which direction you’re coming from, and whether you naturally pay more attention to risk or to reward. Because that style is literally shaping the decisions that shape your future.

Find Nick's book "The Impulse Factor" @:
http://www.amazon.com/Impulse-Factor-Innovative-Approach-Decision/dp/1439157278

No comments: